Friday, April 5, 2013

Weekly Wrap Up: 85 Books and a Train Museum

This week seems like it has flown by. I can't believe it is already Friday.

Believe it or not, our week started out with a field trip! I have never thought I would be a field trip on Monday kinda mom, but opportunity happened and we took it. I had heard that I local train museum was inviting homeschoolers out for a visit. We had never been before so we decided to check it out. It was actually right in the town we live in, so we set out to learn about trains, as well as some local history.

The gals that offered the tours had a wealth of local knowledge. One of them was a sweet elderly lady in her nineties! She showed the children old quill pens, hankies and told them of her years as a young lady. She even shared with us how she had worked at a bank that used to be next door, and about the day they were robbed by the Tri-State Gang!

The kids got to pretend like they were purchasing train tickets for a trip, play in a real caboose and climb up and explore in the watch tower. To top it off, there was a reporter for a local paper there that took some pictures of us and interviewed the older kids. Our field trip actually made the paper, that was a first!

After the train museum, we went to a local park to play, have lunch and go on what ended up being a nature walk of sorts. It was a great way to start the week!

We have continued in our Lewis and Clark studies and followed along with Trail Guide to Learning. This week we learned about beaver, prairie dogs and grizzly bears. We are continuing to read Seaman as a family read aloud. The girls are working their way through Munford and The Captains Dog, both girls love their readers!

Everyone has been progressing with their independent studies (meaning the things they do separate on our group studies). The Lil' Chef has been struggling a bit with the actions in Teaching Textbooks 7, so we are laying that down fora bit to take time to work through the Key to Fractions books. These little books were recommended to me from a veteran homeschool mama. I am hoping they will be as helpful to us as they were to them.

Computer Girl is working her way through the Life of Fred elementary series, she is doing this along with Teaching Textbook 4. We are also ting to get all of those multiplication facts down. We have done the flash card route and now we are doing multiplication copy work. I did this with the Lil' Chef years ago, little did I know we were doing copy work. {smile}

Alpha Boy is plugging along with math and phonics. He would much rather be outside than learning math and how to read, but like I tell him it's life and he needs these things to be a productive adult. I don't think he cares much about that right now, especially when there is a backyard fort calling his name!

Little Bits and I have had a great time working through Letters, Numbers and Shapes from A Journey Through Learning. I think lapbooks are his things, for sure!

We have been reading a bunch this week, which is one of my favorite things to do with the kids! We have done lots of I Spy-ing, these are the boys go to books for bedtime. We have also been enjoying the books in the Click, Clack, Moo series by author Doreen Cronin. Trains are also a. Reading topic this week.

During our library trip this week we came home with 85 books! Yes, eighty-five!!! I say it was all the kids fault, they blame it on me. They are probably right, it was mostly me {smile}. We got all kinds of books more I Spy books, chapter books for the girls, train books, Curious George books, farm books and cook books for mama. We also grabbed more books from the Click Clack Moo series. And some to study more on beavers, prairie dogs and grizzlies. E poor lady at the check out counter looks at me and says "do you homeschool?" After I busted up laughing, I said, "how could you tell?"

The kids have also been able to spend some time outside this week, thanks to the pretty great weather we have been having. They have been having a good ol' time!

I hope you all had a great week too!




0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...