Tuesday, June 4, 2013

See the Light - Paper Jungle Project

 photo logo_zpsd9b498e2.gif


Recently, I got the chance to learn from a master artist, right from my kitchen table!  The kids and I got the chance to review the Art Project - Paper Jungle DVD from See the Light artist Pat Knepley.


Talk about cool!  Rarely do I get into a project like I did with this one.  It was a lot of fun!!  The day we finished our paper jungles, I grabbed my completed Paper Jungle and showed my husband my picture the minute he walked in the door.  Like a child, I kid you not, I said "Honey, look what I made!"  The poor guy barely had time to walk in the door and put his bags down.{wink}

 photo ap_complete_3-small_zps40034088.jpg
If you have never heard of the See the Light art lessons please let me introduce you.  Pat Knepley has started a Christian based, homeschool, video art curriculum.  When I say Christian based, I don't mean Christian friendly, I mean Pat actually weaves scripture into the art lessons.  

As we watched the 4 lessons on the Paper Jungle video we got to learn about artist Henri Rousseau, listen to scripture and watch Pat take us step by step through the lesson.  I felt that she was very detailed in her lesson.  She encourages you to pause the video if you need a little extra time, which we did a few times.  

The Paper Jungle video is broken down into 4 lessons, the entire DVD is 100 minutes long.  The entire project should take about 3-4 hours to complete.  You could take an afternoon to work on the project all at once, or spread it out over several days.  Here is the lesson break down for this particular video:

  • BACKGROUND: CUTTING TREES (22 minutes)
  • FOREGROUND: GRASS AND LEAF SHAPES (27 minutes)
  • FOCAL POINT: FLORA AND FAUNA (26 minutes)
  • THE FINAL STEP: OVERLAPPING AND GLUING (25 minutes)


The Paper Jungle Project is recommended for ages 10 and up.  I think I agree with that, especially since there is a pretty good amount of cutting.  If you desired to have a younger child do this they would most likely need some help.  My older daughter (12) and I really enjoyed this video.  My younger daughter (9) struggled a bit to keep up, but I just encouraged her to press on, and paused when we needed to.  Once her Paper Jungle started coming together a bit more she was a happy camper.  

We have another one of Pat's videos, Art Class - Lesson 1 The Basics.  That class focuses on drawing.  The kids have really enjoyed that one as well.  

See the Light currently has several lessons, with different topics and mediums with which she uses.

  • Tiffany Window - IN THE STYLE OF LOUIS COMFORT TIFFANY
  • Repeated Sweets -IN THE STYLE OF WAYNE THIEBAUD
  • Paper Jungle - IN THE STYLE OF HENRI ROUSSEAU
  • Pointillism Fruit - IN THE STYLE OF GEORGES SEURAT
  • Poppy Collage -IN THE STYLE OF GEORGIA O’KEEFFE 
  • Dreams of Joseph - IN THE STYLE OF MARC CHAGALL 
  • Horsing Around - IN THE STYLE OF EDGAR DEGAS 
  • Peaceful Seas - IN THE STYLE OF WINSLOW HOMER 
  • Sunflowers - IN THE STYLE OF VICENT VAN GOGH  
  • Cartooning - WITH PAT KNEPLEY

  • VOLUME 1- The Basics
  • VOLUME 2 - Shape & Space
  • VOLUME 3 -Value & Color
  • VOLUME 4 - Color Blending Techniques
  • VOLUME 5 -Proportions For Composition
  • VOLUME 6 -Texture & Form 
  • VOLUME 7- Perspective For the Landscape
  • VOLUME 8 -Balancing & Foreshortening
  • VOLUME 9 -The Portrait
Bible Stories 
Each DVD in this series has a Bible and Art Lesson.
  • The Crossmaker 
  • Shipwrecked
  • God's Runaway
  • The Gift of Love
  • God's Special Surprise
I really do like this program, and hope to collect more of the lessons.  I think that the lessons are very well done and that each step is well explained.  The videos Pat is a very good encourager to her students, that was something I picked up on and appreciated.  So even for the reluctant artist, this program would be a great fit!

In addition to Pat's art lessons, I was glad to see that she includes the Lord in her lessons.  The way that she pulls scripture in and tries it to the lesson is brilliant!

See the Light would make a great addition to any homeschool curriculum.  You can purchase the See the Light art lessons that I have mentioned directly from their website.  The lessons are all available individually, as well as in boxed sets according to the series.  The individual DVD's are $14.99 and the box sets range from $74.95 to $99.99.

Members of the TOS Crew reviewed The Paper Jungle DVD, as well as many others.  Be sure to check out their reviews too! You can see more reviews by clicking here.

 

 photo DisclaimerGraphic1_zpsf612f371.gif

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...