Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup


 

http://www.weismarkets.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/CreamyChickenWildRiceSoup.jpg
 
Usually the chicken soups I make are chicken noodle or chicken tortilla, but this time I wanted to do something different.  As I was meal planning last week {whoops I think I forgot to post that one} I found a new recipe to try, Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.  Doesn't that just sound delicious!
 
Let me start off by saying that if you are on a diet spare your self, run fast and run from away from this one! Move on from this post immediately, unless you are willing to modify the recipe {smile}. 
 
This is one of the most delicious soups I have ever had!  It is very rich and creamy, not really good for the waist line, but great for a once in a while meal.  It is a real crowd pleaser! 
 
This time I followed the directions pretty closely, but I think next time I am just going to use plain old milk and not heavy cream. 
 
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Serves 8
 
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 cooked, boneless chicken breast
halves, shredded
1 package quick cooking long
grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
4 carrots, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cups heavy cream (or milk)
    
Directions
1.
In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
2.
In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and saute carrots, celery and onion.  Next, stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream or milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
3.
Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.  ENJOY!
 

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...