Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday Solutions - Salad Fixin's Bar

Back in December we had some friends over for dinner after church.  I had made Baked Cavatini, one friend brought salad and another bread.

My friend Robin arrived with her salad green washed and ready to go in a salad spinner and THEN she pulled out a veggie tray.  This veggies tray was FULL of salad fixin's!!  I am sure that she probably thought I was a real dork, LOL, because I keep going on and on about how great of an item it was (because it really was a great idea).

She had this the fixin's bar filled with shredded carrots, green olives, raisins, and lots of other goodies.  Oh, and in the center, FETA CHEESE!

Let me tell you why I love this idea and how I am incorporating it into my world.  First of all I really NEED to be eating more salads again and I by nature can be a little lazy and don't like to have to chop up all these veggies each time I want a salad.  AND mixing your greens along with everything else only seems to last a day, maybe two before slime starts setting in.

If this doesn't make you want to run off and eat a salad I don't know what will!

When you chop up your goodies and place them into the divided veggie tray, you have killed two birds with one stone so to speak (FYI no birds were harmed during the making of this salad).  Your veggies are ready to go and the best part is they stay not slimy longer.  See, it's the two bird thing!

  For those of you wondering what's in my fixin's bar, I have green olives, broccoli slaw, green onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, shredded carrots and of course FETA.  If I had more slots I would had added sunflower seeds and raisins.

What kind of goodies do you put in your salads??

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Great idea! Brandi, I have to tell you....you crack me up! I have a local friend who describes things just like you do. The two of you would get along great!

Where did you get your tray?

Brandi said...

Hey Joyce - Thanks!
I have had one for YEARS, I just had to dig it out. They would be easy to find at a yard sale or on ebay, I would guess.
I am actually on the hunt for another one to put sliced fruit and veggies in for the kids and I to munch on. : )

Peggy said...

that is so awesome!! Ive never thought to use ours for that other than fresh veggies for snacking on. I am so stealing that idea.

Oh and an answer for your question, I love the unhealthy stuff for my salads. Bacon bits,eggs,cheese,ham,pepperoni,croutons,sunflowers seeds. Occasionally if Im feeling bad about it, I will add shredded carrots and tomatoes to make it look somewhat healthy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...