Monday, April 5, 2010

When I Grow Up I Want to be a Firefighter!

We had the privilege of doing a product review from the WannaBe Series by This Old Schoolhouse called When I Grow Up I Want to be a Firefighter. Let me just first say, we had a great time!   Even my 3 year old was right up in the middle of everything.

The WannaBe Series is very simple to use... just download and print!  I liked how everything was laid out for the teacher/mom.  The study was a good fit for my kids (ages 3, 6 & 9).  It is extremely affordable at only $8.95 for the week long study.  It is very easy to adapt this study into your schedule.  We do not school on Friday and I will die the day I have too! and although this study was set for 5 days I chose to combine days 4 and 5, without any trouble.



We learned a great deal about firefighters. We learned how the first firefighters put out fires, vs. how it is done today.  Ever heard of a bucket brigade? I tell you what, Praise the Lord for fire trucks!  We learned about firefighting equipment and what it takes to be a firefighter.  We learned about fire trucks and how much water they hold.  We also studied the different ranks of a firefighter and what they do.  We praciticed stoping, dropping and rolling!  We practiced STOP, DROP and ROLL.  We also practiced dropping to the floor and crawling to the nearest safe exit.

Our favorite part of the study was when a firefighter was actually explaining what they do all day.  They aren't sitting around watching tv all day that is for sure!  They are constantly learning, training, diligently taking care of their equipment, and cleaning the fire house.

We enjoyed reading about firefighters so much that we got some wonderful books & videos at the library to go along with our theme.  Best of all we actually went to the fire house and got a grand tour!  The kids got to get in the trucks and see all the different equipment that the firefighters use.   One of the firefighters even got all of his gear on to show the kids that there was nothing to be afraid of if a firefighter was coming to help you during a fire.  They explained each part of their gear and even turned on the oxygen tank so the kids would get used to the funny little noises that they make. 


My son brought along his own firefighter uniform.  All the firefighters just loved this!


Cheezin' in the fire truck!


The Fire Chief explained to me that he'd rather not let the kids into the ambulance because of germs (didn't have to tell me twice, LOL!), so they brought the stretcher out for the kids to see.  They were SO good to us!



Getting all dressed up in his fire proof suit.


Explaining the suit to my son so he would not be afraid of a firefighter if he ever had to be rescued from a fire. 




These are some of the book we got from Library:
A Firefighter's Thanksgiving
I am Fire
Dot the Fire Dog
Firefighters to the Rescue
Fire Engine
It's Time to Call 911
Fire Fighters (In My Neighborhood Series)



The videos we watched:
Fire Safety Hits
Fire Station (My Community Series)
Safety Smart Science with Bill Nye the Science Guy: Fire Classroom Edition


As you can see we had a great time!  Needless to say, I highly recommend this study, and ending your week with a visit to your local firehouse is a must!  If you would like to do the When I Grow Up I Want to be a Firefighter unit study, or one of the 9 other interesteing studies to choose from, they are available thru The Old School House.  You can purcahse them individually for $8.95 or the whole series of 10 When I Grow Up I WannaBe a ..... for $89.50.



0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...