Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fun & Frugal Summer Activities for Kids #23 Become a Junior Ranger!




Our family went to the beach a few weeks ago.  While we were there I was determined to find things that were fun, yet didn't break our piggy bank. 



One of the days that we were there, we decided to go to a near by National Park at Assateaque Island, to check out the wild ponies.  Once we got there, we learned about a program that they had available for kids {and adults} called the Junior Ranger Program.  The program is nation wide and available at many of the National Parks.
 
The kids {and dad} were all given a little workbook to complete that was based on the exhibits in the visitors center.  Our little guy had a different book for younger children, which I helped him with. 




 We really had a great time exploring and learning new things.   They even had a really cool touch tank that we all loved.  



After we completed our workbooks, we were sworn in as Junior Rangers, and given the choice of a badge or patch.  I did not complete my own workbook because I was helping Little Bits with his.  However, the kind Park Ranger decided to give me a badge of my own since technically I did do a workbook.  I was doing the happy dance! 



Did I mention that we did all of this FOR FREEEEE!  The visitors center area is open to the public free of charge.  So we got to explore the center, the grounds and become Junior Rangers at no cost.  And I must say, it was one of the most enjoyable things we did on our trip. 

I bet there is a participating National Park near you, maybe you all could make a little day trip out of it.  If there isn't a park near you, your kids can still be Junior Rangers through the Web Ranger website. 


 
Have Fun!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...