Friday, February 8, 2013

Weekly Wrap Up: Back to Semi-Normal, Daniel Boone & Knitting

  
 
Ahh, you know that feeling of peace that comes over you when your house is in order?  You know, when things for the most part are running smoothly, laundry is not piled mile high to the sky and school is getting done and everyone is enjoying it. 

Praise the Lord, that is what I have been feeling for the about the last week.  When I was working part time my world was not running so smoothly over here at the LSG home.  That did not make things happy, happy, happy for this type A mama, that is for sure. 

I left the PT job about the second week in January and it has taken this long to really get it back together with the house, kids and schooling.  I am so thankful that everyone seems to have adjusted back to our normal routine and that we are back to school (all subjects included). 


We are in the Daniel Boone unit of POE from Trail Guides to Learning.  I am sooo loving this curriculum!  It took me a little while to get used to it, but I LOVE it!

We are having a lot of fun with reading about Daniel Boone, tracking and nature studies!  Everyone has been enjoying our read aloud, Daniel Boone by Janet & Geoff Benge.  The Lil' Chef is reading The Sign of the Beaver, she is so into that book!  Computer Girl is also really into her reader, Who is Daniel Boone?  TGTL had her reading another DB book but it got misplaced, so we just picked a different one up at the library.

Along with our DB reading we also read about Samuel Morse and Morse code and James Cook this week.  We had a great time doing Morse code with a spot light and cracking each others messages.  The kids even got dad in on the action when he came home from work.  When ever they do that it shows me that they are enjoying what we are learning!  Luv it!

This week also has us labeling parts of a flower.  We did this last week with bees and the kids has a blast.  They know know every part of a bee, as well as how to tell different bees apart.  I am just loving the nature studies that TGTL has included.  The kids seem to enjoy them too!  The only complaint that I get from 1 or 2 of them is when they have to draw animals, for some reason they feel that this "drawings aren't good."  I will help them a little with the drawing, but for the most part I just try to encourage them through it.  Usually once they are finished they are happy with the end result. 

I know there have been a few people asking about picture books for some of the younger guys. I thought I would include some of the picture books and videos that we have grabbed from the library to go along with our Daniel Boone unit:


The American Frontier - Video by Schlessinger Media
Big Tracks, Little Tracks : Following animal prints by Selsam, Millicent E
Crinkleroot's Book of Animal Tracking. by Arnosky, Jim.
A Picture Book of Davy Crockett by Adler, David A.   
Track that Scat! by Morlock, Lisa - this book had us CRACKING UP!! 
Daniel Boone's great escape by Spradlin, Michael P.
Journeys in time : a new atlas of American history by Leacock, Elspeth.
 
 
This past week the Lil' Chef started taking a Wilton Cake Decorating Class (thank you Nana).  She has been having a good old time baking cakes, mixing icing and practicing her piping.  I am really excited for her.  It seems the Lord has given her a little gift in the kitchen.
 
 
Isn't this scarf beeeeutifuulll! 
 
Last, but surely not least, we spent the afternoon learning how to knit!  Someone I know from church sent me a message a few weeks back asking if I wanted a pattern for this really easy scarf she has been knitting.  My reply was "yes, but I have to learn to knit first."  Long story short, she offered to teach the girls and I how to knit.  This was a huge blessing to us!  Computer Girl and I both have been wanting to learn how to knit for a while now.  The Lil' Chef was pretty reluctant, saying that knitting was for old people." Can you imagine!  I told her she had to at least give it a try.  Of course she loves it and is very excited to complete her first project. 
 It was a pretty good week for which I am thankful!
 How was your week?
 
 
 
 
 
 
  

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...