Friday, March 30, 2012

How to Cut Layered Hair at Home - Tutorial

Yes, I am one of those mama's that cuts my kids hair.  I have not done the hair cutting cost tally or anything but I know I am saving a bundle by cutting their hair myself. 

I don't feel like I have a hard time cutting my boys hair.  It's not exactly perfect but the Lord has given my the grace to not mess up too terribly bad. 

The girls on the other hand make me a little more nervous.  One daughter of mine doesn't really care what I do to her hair and prefers it shorter.  My other daughter keeps a hawk eye on me to make sure I do not cut more than a 1/16 of an inch from her hair.  I always end up taking more than she wants me to in my attempt to get everything at least mostly even. 

About a week ago I was given the most marvelous of ideas.  We had Aunt Cindy over and we got to talking about hair and my mom (for those of you that don't know, my mama was a hairdresser and the Lord called her home in 2006).  Well, Aunt Cindy was describing to me how my mom used to cut layers.   That conversation, of course, let me to Youtube.


I came across these really cool clips that help you to cut hair into a layers.  The clip on the video reminded me of something that I just knew I had in one of my kitchen drawers.  I started rummaging through my drawers until I found it!  The Pampered Chef Chip Clip.  I think every women over the age of 28 has at least one of these chip clips in there kitchen, right?  So, with in about 90 seconds of me finding the Chip Clip and grabbing my clippers I was ready to go.


This is the Lil' Chef.  Other than a few bangs, her hair was all one length. 

We flipped her head over and brushed her hair.

We used the Chip Clip and gathers her hair altogether.  Here comes the fun part....

Buzzzzzzz!  You can buzz across with clippers, cut the hair upwards at a vertical angle or straight across.

Don't you just LOVE it!!

Chip Clip + Clippers = 1 Happy Girl!


12 comments:

Doreen said...

That's awesome. I have about a dozen of those chip clips and now I'm going to put them to more use! Thanks!

Brandi said...

I hope you end up loving this idea as much as I do! I was ready to start lining my neighbors up for hair cuts : )

Unknown said...

I was a cosmetologist for ten years. This is exactly how I cut my layers, but I love the tip about the chip clip.

Thank you for sharing this.

Brandi said...

Thanks! I am excited that a hairdresser approves : )

Andrea @ No Doubt Learning said...

Love this idea! I cut my girls hair between spread out "real" hair cuts...I'm definitely going to use this idea!
~Andrea

Brandi said...

I am really glad you liked liked it!! Thnx!

Amy T. said...

I love this idea! I already cut my hubby's and toddler son's hair! I've been wanting to try my own...I've been getting it cut at the beauty school for $7 which isn't bad, but if I can do it myself, even better! I don't own one of those clips though...and no I'm not over 28...I'm 23 lol...so where would I find one? I have seen the CreaClip before and thought it was neat..just didn't have the $$ at the time to spend...any ideas where I can get one of those chip clips for cheaper than paying for the CreaClip?

JKMac7 said...

I also cut my son's hair but haven't done my girls yet. They are wanting me to cut it so bad but I am nervous. I also saw that video on You Tube...but seeing you do it and do it successfully is encouraging.
I have a similar chip clip that I purchased from Ikea...comes in a bag of like 12 or something...different sizes too.
I might have to try this.

Brandi said...

I am always a little nervous doing the girls hair but my mom (who was a hairdresser) used to say "oh, it will grow back!"
I feel like the chip clip method is "almost" foolproof! If you try it please post and share : )

Unknown said...

Love this!!! Will be doing this today with my own hair. :)

lizzi3marshall said...

Oh, I’ve also seen a similar trick here http://www.restylepro.com/blogs/news/18071259-stylishly-layered-hairstyles-for-all-types-of-hair. the only differnce is that you need to tie your hair in a ponytail first. And I really can’t wait for my hair to grow long enough so I can try a layered hairstyle. :D

Ujan sharma said...

First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics, i will be always checking your blog thanks.

girl hair cutting style name

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...