Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Thanksgiving Menu

I wanted to share my Thanksgiving Day Menu with everyone.  Over the last few years we have found some yummy recipes and I wanted to share them with you. 

We used to all meet for the holidays at my mom and grandma's house but since they are no longer with us, my sister and I have kinda divided them up.  I usually do Thanksgiving. 

Here is what we are making:
Turkey - last year I started getting a turkey from Trader Joe's that was already brined, I had read that brined turkeys are more moist and juicy.  I have to agree, they are a WOW!  So if you can get a brined turkey I say GO FOR IT!! The way that prepare my turkey is, after I clean it up, I lift up the skin and rub my bird with a mixture of softened butter, rosemary, thyme and sage.  I also rub the top with butter, to give it a nice crispy finish.

Stuffing - I get the TJ's Cornbread Stuffing and then hook it up.  I am going to saute butter, onions, chopped carrots and celery along with some sage flavored pork sausage.  Once everything is all cooked up I am going to add it all to the stuffing mixture.  I usually do not put my stuffing in the turkey.  I actually thought this year I might try putting the stuffing the turkey because I think some people would like that.  Then, just this very morning, I turned on the Food Network and heard Alton Brown explain how all the RAW Turkey Juice drips onto the stuffing and how it is the last thing to cook and sometimes doesn't cook all the way.  So I was reminded why I DO NOT put my stuffing in my bird.  GROSS!! 

Gravy - Ok, I am going to be the first to admit that I have NOT perfected this and it is totally a learning process for me.  I think you have to be southern to really make good gravy, I think it is just something something so women are blessed with at birth.  This year i am going to try this recipe for Savory Turkey Gravy.  If you have a tried and true recipe that is fool proof, that you would like to share by all means, hook me up!

Mashed Potatoes - I have been using this recipe, Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, for a while now.  I LOVE THEM!!  For starters, I love how you make these up in the morning and then stick them in the crock pot.  No more mixing up mashed potatoes at the last minute.  I LOVE that this recipe calls for sour cream, cream cheese and garlic, what's not to love about these babies! 

Creamed Corn - Another fabulous recipe I found on Allrecipes in Slow Cooker Creamed Corn.  This recipe is so simple my 4 year old could do it .  I just throw everything (well, everything except the sugar, it really doesn't need it)  in a small crock pot around 11am and then I forget about it until it is time to eat.  This recipe is soooo- goood!! 


Peach Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - I have recently found a new love, for cake!  Usually I make Pumpkin Rolls but this is truly my new love, it is to die for!  I will tell you all more about this wonderful cake soon.
My sister is making Green Bean Casserole, Sweet Potato Casserole,  Pumpkin Pies, and Baked Beans.  My Dad is going to be making Bread Pudding. 

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving! 

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...